Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Memory Tips - Example: Symmetric and Asymmetric Encryption

 


Whether I am speaking with students or professionals looking to enter the field of cyber security one of the things that I often mention is that, although it may be unfair, cyber security professionals are expected to know how everything works and how to secure it so you better be really good at two things. Researching and remembering. 

I love what I do so I have always been really good at researching but have struggled with the latter, remembering. For example, one organization I worked for I was the only security engineer for several networks and these networks utilized many different technologies that needed to be implemented securely. These technologies included Windows, Linux, IoT devices, embedded operating systems, routers, switches, firewalls, along with several other technologies. I was really good at researching and understanding the technologies as I needed but retaining all of that data was difficult. Add on to that if you are going taking college level courses or studying for a certification to advance your career that is a lot of information to retain! Although I managed (I have advanced in my career, have a Master's degree in Digital Forensics and Cyber Investigations, and hold several industry certifications) I did struggle at times. 

Because I did struggle, and I am getting older, I began researching ways to improve memory and came across a great technique that has worked for me and may be helpful to anyone else that may be looking for a way to help remember things we need to as a cyber security professionals. For example, the difference between Symmetric and Asymmetric encryption. Specifically which type used one or two encryption keys. For whatever reason I always had an issue implanting this simple item into my long term memory, I would always have to look it up and refresh my memory when needed, that is until now.

I learned this technique from the book Remember it! by Nelson Ellis. The technique is simple. See - Link - Go. First, see the thing you are trying to remember in your mind as a picture. Then link it, or anchor it to something you already know well. Finally, Go! Make the image REALLY memorable, using as many of your senses as possible, your emotions, and some movement. Follow this simple process and I believe you will see measurable improvement in your memory which will be very helpful as you advance in your cyber security career. 

So how do I do it? Great question! The following is how I used Nelson's technique to once and for all embed Symmetric and Asymmetric encryption into my long term memory. Caveat, remember, when you GO you are making your image MEMORABLE and the more ridiculous the better! So before you judge my example please remember that.

Using the method See - Link - Go in my mind I changed Asymmetric to "Ass-ymetric" and visualized ass-ymetric as a butt . A butt has two cheeks and each cheek represents an encryption key. I used this image of Principle Skinner from the show the Simpsons. The Simpsons have been on television since 1989 and I watched them growing up so for me this image hits all of the key points. It is memorable, uses my senses, emotions, and adds some movement!

It has been several weeks now and I no longer have trouble remembering that symmetric encryption uses one key and asymmetric encryption uses two keys - a private key and a public key and is also the method used for Public Key Infrastructure (PKI).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Emerging Threat - The Rise of Quishing: Malicious QR Codes

    A QR code (short for Quick Response code) is a type of barcode that can be scanned by one’s smartphone camera. It stores data like tex...